Stephanie Tracy's Reviews > The Crown

The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: tudor-book-challenge-2012
Read from March 07 to 16, 2012

I absolutely loved this Tudor thriller - certainly one of the best books I've read in a long time, and the best novel I've read so far in 2012. After all the praise it has received, I had high hopes for it, and I was not disappointed at all. Nancy Bilyeau did a great job of creating a truly fascinating (and at times spine-tingling) fictional mystery, woven into a factual and rarely-seen setting. This is the story of Joanna Stafford, a Dartford Priory novice, and the dangerous journey she embarks on to find a mysterious crown, thought to be hidden at her priory. This crown could have the power to stop the devastating destruction of religious houses across England, brought around by the religious upheaval and reformation. Here, we get a close look at Bishop Stephen Gardiner and the Duke of Norfolk, as well as a few glimpses into the past to see Anne Boleyn and her notorious brother, George. This is a truly unique look at a devastating Tudor event, told from a perspective that we haven't seen before. If this book doesn't hook you, I don't know what will. I highly encourage you to buy and read this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown.