Bane of Kings's Reviews > The Wrong Goodbye

The Wrong Goodbye by Chris F. Holm

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, angry-robot, 2012-releases-read, fantasy, notable-2012-releases, 25-best-2012-releases
Read from September 16 to 20, 2012

“An explosive follow up to Dead Harvest, two out of two for Chris F. Holm, urban fantasy fans will love this. Sam Thorton is a protagonist to be reckoned with.” ~The Founding Fields

The first novel in The Collector Trilogy was released earlier this year, which I loved. So, when the second novel was avaliable for an eARC download from Angry Robot, I eagerly snapped up the chance and almost as soon as it appeared on my IPod I began reading, and couldn’t put it down. If the third novel in The Collector Trilogy rounds off the series nicely and continues to be as good as the first two, then I honestly believe that Sam Thorton will be up there battling with the likes of Harry Dresden, and other similar male protagonists of the urban fantasy genre (although, Dresden and Thorton both come from different backgrounds, and aren’t quite as similar as I made them out to be).

Meet Sam Thornton, Collector of Souls.

Because of his efforts to avert the Apocalypse, Sam Thornton has been given a second chance – provided he can stick to the straight-and-narrow.

Which sounds all well and good, but when the soul Sam’s sent to collect goes missing, Sam finds himself off the straight-and-narrow pretty quick.

File Under: Urban Fantasy [ Missing | Soul Provider | Call Collect | Demon Child ]

For those of you who haven’t read Dead Harvest yet, don’t worry, you don’t have to. Chris F. Holm does a great job of catching the reader up with what happened last time in a way that doesn’t affect the breakneck pace of the book. You won’t feel lost at any point during the book mainly due to the fact that it sticks to Sam’s first person narrative all the way through, allowing you to get a clear view inside the Collector’s head. As well as being a pulp urban fantasy novel, The Wrong Goodbye also doubles up as a road trip, the car involved being a Cadillac. This makes the story more interesting and enjoyable, adding something fresh that I haven’t seen in an urban fantasy novel before. (Alex Verus stuck in London, and Dresden stuck more or less in Chicago.)

The novel is fast paced, and continues the style of Dead Harvest that for those who have read that book will be familiar with. The characters in this novel are believable, and the action is pretty much non stop after the flashback to introduce a new character to our tale, Danny – who is more important to the plot than you will initially think. Chris F. Holm writes in a way that will keep you turning the pages, and if you’re anything like me, you won’t be able to put it down. I loved The Wrong Goodbye even more than I enjoyed Dead Harvest. It’s what The Dark Knight was to its prequel - more explosive, more epic, and a lot more enjoyable even though both Begins and Dead Harvest were still good in their own right.

Read the rest of the review: http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/09/....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrong Goodbye.