Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .'s Reviews > Gabriel's Inferno

Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6848917
's review
Mar 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in November, 2015 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Second Read Through - November 25 - 26, 2015:
I've just reread this one and I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around than I did the first. However, the ending was still too drawn out and overly sentimental. And with that said...Gabriel and all his ill mannered ways is still swoon worthy. ;)

First Read Through - March 10-11, 2012:
I have mixed feeling about this book. Like some others, I hate to give it a bad review since it seems to be a favorite among other reader. In fact it wasn’t a bad read, it was just a bit sugary and to sweet for my taste.

I was impressed with the writing style and I really liked the story. Gabriel was a conflicted male lead who’s petulant attitude and commanding personality shined in the authors telling of him. I really liked the Dante and Beatrice theme and I was pleasantly educated with the diversity of literary references, wines, foods and music throughout the book. However, here’s my main quibble and where my review slants. The main female character, Julia was way too cowed and too much of a wilting flower. She broke easily and at one point I just set the book down and rolled my eyes because I was tired of all her tears. The first half of the book was really good, taking the reader in with Gabriel and Julia’s first meeting inside his classroom. I was absorbed in the conflict between these two characters, trying to decipher the mystery behind their pasts both individually and together. But then after the initial conflict, the dialogue became unbelievably trite with all the “I love you..” “you’re to precious for this world..” talk. Uggg! And in the last few chapters, I kept expecting something to happen, some sort of fallout. But what we got instead was an incredibly slow seduction that seemed to have sizzled out half way through the book, at least for me.

I did like the background story though. I thought Rachel was a great best friend and I loved the conflict with Julia and the ex-boyfriend. I also liked Gabriel’s past story. It really pulled at my heartstrings and explained why he was so out of sorts. I also liked Paul’s friendship as well as the Clark family.

All in all, the story was interesting and most of the characters were likable as well as relatable. I just hated all the sappy crying, shrinking violet, dizzying love fest I had to endure to get to the good parts.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Inferno.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Cher are you reading the next one? I don't think I will because I am curious about the whole Pauline thing.I figure it's going to be a big issue later.


Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Cher wrote: "are you reading the next one? I don't think I will because I am curious about the whole Pauline thing.I figure it's going to be a big issue later."

I have it purchased and ready to read. I'll be starting it first of next week. I got it the day it came out, mostly because Im doing it for a group read. I heard its really good and a lot better then the first one. So Im going to give it a go. Yeah, I fully expect Pauline to be an issue but honestly, some conflict would be good. After about half way through, the first one didn't really have that push-pull I like so much in my romance books. If you decide to read it, let me know what you think. I'll do the same :)


Cher You'll have to give me all the spoilers because I think I'm going to pass.I don't think I can take anymore of her crying. But I will admit to wanting to know what Pauline does and if he drops Julian to be with her. Be my cheat, so I don't have too :-)


Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Cher wrote: "You'll have to give me all the spoilers because I think I'm going to pass.I don't think I can take anymore of her crying. But I will admit to wanting to know what Pauline does and if he drops Julia..."

LOL! I'll do that.. just cuz its you ;) I'll let ya know what I think.


Cher Thanks! :-)


Angela I'm on page 110 and i'm already so sick of how many times she looks at her feet or bites her lip. I just want to reach in the book and slap her. stupid rabbit!!


Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Angela wrote: "I'm on page 110 and i'm already so sick of how many times she looks at her feet or bites her lip. I just want to reach in the book and slap her. stupid rabbit!!"

LOL! I know right?!? And all the "tears" and "crying". Ugg! This book would have been amazing if it weren't for all the delicate descriptions of Julia... but dont stop because book two is awesome! The writing style so much better and Julia is much more firm a character.


Angela Does book one 1 end on a cliffhanger? My library doesnt have book 2 yet and i really dont want to spend money buying a book that i'm not completely in love with. Dont tell me the ending, but am i gonna be desperate to know what happens in book 2?


Angela I'm also irritated that the author keeps talking about "him" that did something horrible to julia, but its taking forever to for her to tell us who this "him" is or what they did. I might appreciate what i'm reading more if i knew WTF had happened. just like it felt like it took forever for the author to tell us that gabriel and julia knew each other and how. ugh!


Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Angela wrote: "Does book one 1 end on a cliffhanger? My library doesnt have book 2 yet and i really dont want to spend money buying a book that i'm not completely in love with. Dont tell me the ending, but am i g..."

If I recall correctly, the ending is left open ended but could have worked as the conclusion. Not really a cliffy but certainly room for more story if the author chose to. At the end of book one, I dont think there was a definite plan for book two. I know it was a couple of months after I read book one that there was even a mention of a book two in the works and then several more months before a release date. So I think you're safe. :)


Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Angela wrote: "I'm also irritated that the author keeps talking about "him" that did something horrible to julia, but its taking forever to for her to tell us who this "him" is or what they did. I might appreciat..."

It all comes together and the story unfolds creatively. It is frustrating though, so I understand what you're saying. This book was a huge hit in my Fiftys group and dont get me wrong.. I really did love the book, its just there were so many times I literally hated Julia because she was just so... meh! Ya know? Like I said in my review.. she was a wilting flower and I like a strong heroine in my reads.. she just... wasn't... However, she's much better in book two. I hope you get a chance to read it soon. It really was much better then book one. Here's my review of book two if you're interested :)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...


Angela Thanks. I'll take it look. I don't mind weaker heroines, but this is an extreme, over-the-top version. I keep finding myself looking at the heavens and rolling my eyes. Its coming off like she is supposed to be the virgin mary and a saint and everything else that is pure and sweet and simple rolled into one. sickening. lol
but, i'm gonna keep reading cause i see the potential and cause you say it gets better.


Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Angela wrote: "Thanks. I'll take it look. I don't mind weaker heroines, but this is an extreme, over-the-top version. I keep finding myself looking at the heavens and rolling my eyes. Its coming off like she is ..."

LOL! Very true! Love what you said about her being portrayed as saintly. Thats how I felt. Good luck on your reading. Hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you do a review.. I'll come over and read it ;)


Angela I just finished and this is all I can think right now: Phew!! I have a lot to say, but first I need to go to confession for being a part of the last scenes of the book. I feel like a naughty child that has been caught looking at my parents porn collection or dirty magazine. The scene wasn't dirty, it was just so intimate and loving. I felt like a voyeur peeking through the window, illegally!! ha
The rest of the review will have wait a day or two. I'm not even sure how many stars to give.


back to top