Emily Smith's Reviews > Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails: Patterns & Shapes . . . Naturally

Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails by Betsy Franco

F 50x66
Mar 07, 2012

The second book I chose to review is Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails by Betsy Franco. This poetry book is all about animals and all of the different shapes and patterns they make. She writes about how bees are smart because their beehives are made of hexagons and they all fit perfectly side by side and that the male peacocks are the colorful ones who attract the plain females with their beautiful tail feathers. I had no idea that geese and swans travel in a V shaped formation because it helps them fly with less effort and they are quieter so that they can fly peacefully. She writes about spiders, snails, snakes, moths, and many more fascinating creatures. The facts about these animals are interesting because she makes learning about them fun. The rhyming words make it easier to read for children. She also uses imagery very well. Also, the shape of the writing goes with the drawing. The page about the geese, she forms a V shape with her words. The page about the puffer fish, the words are encircled around the fish and the starfish page, the words are written on a rock underwater. Kids from age five to eight should read this book because it is not only fun to read, it will teach them interesting facts about animals that they may not have known. I am 19 years old and I did not know some of these facts. The illustrator, Steve Jenkins, uses a lot of colors. He captures the blue and green of a peacock tail perfectly and the moth is drawn in perfect symmetry. The texture is almost realistic like I can touch the animals, trees, or water on the pages. The lines of the drawings are precise and the colors come together beautifully. I recommend this book to primary children. Not only are they learning about poetry, but they are also learning about animals that children do not necessarily learn about in school. In the back of the book, there are even more facts about these animals. She uses poetic techniques that may interest children to learn more about poetry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bees, Snails, & Peacock Tails.