Holly's Reviews > One for the Murphys

One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Oh wow. This is a special book. Mrs. Murphy and 12-year-old Carley Connors will be with me for awhile. There's a lot to think about in this story of Carley, who because of a terrible incident with her mother and step-father, ends up as a foster child in the Murphy household, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Murphy and their 3 boys. Carley's anger and sarcasm doesn't seem to rattle Mrs. Murphy much, and Carley just can't believe how perfect she is. Slowly but surely Carley learns what she's been missing in a family and begins to love the Murphys, make a best friend, and learn to believe in herself. Her real mother remains a complicated character, and the ending is slightly worrisome, but Carley now knows she can make a choice about how she wants to live her life. One of my favorite lines is on page 190: "I also think that maybe I'm not supposed to be able to save my mother. Maybe I'm supposed to save myself first." Towards the end, Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree gives Carley a lot to think about, and she makes a point by thinking "the tree in that book shouldn't be a stump; it should be bigger and greener from loving the little boy." This now rivals Wonder and The One and Only Ivan for my Newbery choice!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One for the Murphys.

Megan Wow! Great to know! I was hesitant to put this one on my "to-read" list because I thought it sounded like one that would possibly lack depth. I think I'm going to hop on the library's website and reserve it right now, though! Great review!

Kathy It's going on my to-read list too! Do you have any Newbery Club dates in mind?

Holly Not yet - the summer is going by too fast!

Stephanie I agree...this one was memorable.