Heather's Reviews > Deadly is the Kiss

Deadly is the Kiss by Rhyannon Byrd

Mar 07, 2012

bookshelves: fantasyromance
Read from March 07 to 10, 2012

I had been a bit disappointed by the books in the series (continuing? spin off?) and as the books progressed, I felt that they lacked that earthy chemistry the earlier books had. I ended up donating my series to the library because I felt I wasn’t going to re-read.

But this one? Juliana and Ashe’s chemistry was ‘squirm in my chair’ hot. Two words: elevator scene. Both characters stood well as individuals, and as a couple.

I loved how strong she was, and her stealth and intelligence are assets to him. Juliana’s family has been relegated to no-man’s land, and they have begun to implode. Unsure of who to trust, and carrying the heavy weight of responsibility, she is on the run to figure out who is taking out her family. Ashe is drawn to Juliana; she’s his mate, even if she hates how he makes her feel. I respected how he tried to give her the space she so desperately wanted, but appreciated his refusal to let her stand alone.

I thought the story had just enough action that it let them work together and work out their problems, but left plenty of time for the romance. That said, you really had to know the other stories to understand how all the pieces fit together. There was a lot of name-dropping, and if I hadn’t been reading the series, I feel that my experience would definitely have been compromised.

Deadly is the kiss is definitely worth reading. I couldn’t put it down, and it took me a day to finish it. Fingers crossed that the next book(s) will be equally gripping!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly is the Kiss.

03/07/2012 page 154