Samantha's Reviews > Liar, Liar: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Deception

Liar, Liar by Gary Paulsen

F 50x66
Mar 07, 12

it was ok

As I browsed the shelves of the library searching for my free-choice novel, my eyes stopped on a book by Gary Paulsen. I remember reading Hatchet in elementary school and really liking it so I checked out Paulsen’s Liar, Liar. To my surprise I was disappointed by this modern day teen tale. The protagonist of the story is Kevin, an eighth grader with a knack for lying who wreaks havoc on his life by lying too much. I found it to be very predictable and not exciting. Kevin was not a realistic fourteen year old; he was too witty and kind of mean. In the story, he some how gets himself out of all of his classes for a whole week, I think young readers may find this implausible. Also, there was a part where his parents had a fight and several pages later he was worried about them divorcing, this plot was detached, making it hard to follow. I did like the sibling rivalry that existed; the constant fighting over the car was realistic. Also, Kevin’s friend JonPaul played a nice role in the story, he is a super hypochondriac and I think a lot of kids are discovering websites such as WebMD to look up their “symptoms” just like he did in the story. Even though I wasn’t such a fan of the story itself, it does have a beneficial theme about telling the truth and I think it would serve kids well to know that lies can pile up. The girl trouble was never resolved which bothered me and also after having told all of those lies, Kevin still though highly of himself and thought he would make a great boyfriend. This was not one of Gary Paulsen’s best novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liar, Liar.