Lady of the Lake's Reviews > The Shield of Three Lions

The Shield of Three Lions by Pamela Kaufman

Aug 01, 08

bookshelves: historical-romance, historical-fantasy
Recommended for: HF/HR (non-purists)
Read in April, 1985, read count: 1

Many parts of this story are far fetched but I really enjoyed it and this is one of my favorite non-true HF HFR stories. It is well written for what it is. However if you are a HF purist do not even go here! You will toss this book long before you finish it! It is kind of a farce in that sense. But I remember it wrapped up nicely and although I was sad that it ended I didn't walk away feeling not satisfied.
(Now I am writing this review MANY years later from when I have read it so keep that in mind...) I also read this when I was much much younger, but I don't think that it would change what I think today even tho I know my Medieval history now much better...

This isn't a true HF novel more of a fantasy HF. With a likable main character Alex who is 11 when the story opens she is the daughter of the baron of Wanthwaite and her entire family is killed and lands seized and spends the rest of the trilogy trying to get her lands back as she promised to do. She went to see King Richard, dressed as a boy to be able to travel un-escorted, and meets up with a very likable Enoch who takes "him" under his wing and protects young Alex on his way. (Enoch's speech is written in a heavy Scottish brogue and took some time to grasp what the author was trying to get him to say!) Being a young girl Alex makes for a beautiful young boy and catches the eye of Richard the Lion Heart, who if you know history was a king who liked 'pretty young boys'. Alex thought that he knew she was in disguise because had no idea that the King was like that...but he didn't, not at first. There were many bits of actual fact here and there so it did give me satisfaction on that end of it as well.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shield of Three Lions.