Andrea Guy's Reviews > The Priest and the Peaches

The Priest and the Peaches by Larry Peterson

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, christian, quick-reads, young-adult, ebook
Read on March 07, 2012

This was a really moving and enlightening read. It falls into the YA Christian catagory. I was surprised that the characters were Catholic and they were portrayed as good Catholics. That doesn't happen often in fiction.

The story involves the Peach family who have just lost their father. Father Sullivan is the parish priest at St Anne's who is trying to help them through their grief. I wish there were priests like Father Sullivan for everyone.

Larry Peterson writes the Catholic priest the way we all imagine that they should be, flawed and human and yet full of God's word and answers to the tough questions. He's a priest you want in your corner.

The 5 orphan Peaches are so wonderful. The two oldest, Joannie and Teddy are trying their best to be parents in the face of a lot of adversity. They live in the Bronx and there's not a lot of money going around, and Pops didn't leave them with much to go on.

This book is about family, faith and sticking together, something you don't see much of today. I love how religion plays a huge part in their lives, especially in their deceased father's life. It will have you saying L.Y.N to everyone (Love Your Neighbor). The Catholic faith is a huge part of the story, but it isn't shoved down the readers throat as the best religion. It is simply the religion of the Peach family.

The family goes through a lot in the week that we read about; the loss of a parent, money difficulties, coping difficulties and illnesses. For most it would be a lot to handle but when they put their trust in God and friends and family help, they survive.

This is a sad, but beautiful story. One I recommend highly to anyone looking for a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Priest and the Peaches.