Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)'s Reviews > The White Oak

The White Oak by Kim White

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2012-read, review-written, review-books-read
Read from March 18 to 21, 2012

This review was originally posted on Tea, Daydreams & Fairytales on the 9th April 2012.

3.5 Stars

"After years of pretending at emotions, he'd grown to appreciate their mystery, their chaos and randomness. Sometimes they were predictable, one-dimensional, almost stupid - other times they were so confounding, complex, and exquisite that he was convinced humans really were as special as they thought themselves to be."

The White Oak is a dark and interesting tale that takes well known greek myths mixes it with Alice in Wonderland and produces an inventive and unique fantasy that is guaranteed to hook in the reader. The story starts off fast and without any build up you are taken straight into a climactic scene of Cora being buried in a sinkhole desperate and frantic before arriving in Asphodel (also known as purgatory) alive and disoriented. The novel then takes on you Cora's journey as she tries to escape the underworld with her life intact as no one knows what would happen to her soul if she really died while already in the land of the dead.

This is an action packed book and reminded me a little bit of early 90s adventure games (think Kings Quest). Each chapter introduces you to a new problem or adventure so to speak which keeps the plot moving at a good rate and also helps you visualise what the character of Cora is going through.

The biggest weakness with this novel is that there didn't seem to be enough time to really build and explore the characters. There is a tiny amount of backstory of Cora & Lucas's abusive father and mother who dissappeared, but considering what a traumatic childhood they had, both of them seemed incredibly well adjusted and I never once actually felt real empathy or sadness for what they had experienced in life. Cora was so bland for a main character, nothing seemed to really phase her and I just found her plain boring if slightly weird considering she sews seeds into dresses for no apparent reason.

The secondary characters were much more interesting and I really hope in the future novels we get to find out more about them. Minotaur as a computer program, how novel and fascinating! I love how he would change personas depending on the situation. Sybil was also very interesting and I loved the concept of everyone having their own book of life that all made up the entire story of the world - past, present and future. I'm also interested to find out more about the hatred between Minos and Sybil and how this is going to play into the over arching story.

The finale takes place in a courtroom discussing the possibility of Cora's execution (Alice in Wonderland anyone?) and then just as things start to get interesting the book ends. This is a pet hate of mine - regardless of whether a book is part of a series or a stand alone there needs to be some resolution to the story. Ending it the same way you would end a chapter is just completely exasperating!

Even though the book had its faults I still enjoyed the adventure and would pick up the sequel. Just don't go into this novel expecting anything profound, it really is more suited as a fun summer read albeit a dark one!

Thank you Netgalley and Story Machine Studio for providing me with a copy of this novel for review. The White Oak is being released today, the 9th April 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Oak.

Quotes Philippa (Tea in the Treetops) Liked

Kim White
“They will be the architects of my fate, I think to myself, despite what Sybil said about my being the author of my own destiny.”
Kim White, The White Oak
tags: cora, sybil

03/19/2012
03/20/2012
57.0% "Toddler has kept me up way too much tonight sigh"
03/21/2012
90.0% 1 comment
03/21/2012
100.0% "Hmmm this started out slow but I did get into things and then it ended with a massive cliffhanger argh! Review to come!"
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kassy I wanted to meet Orcus.