Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > Marlowe's Ghost

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-gennieg, publishersent
Read in March, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Sarah Black is a new author for me, and to be honest I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. However, after I saw a few friends on Goodreads give “Marlowe’s Ghost” a good review I decided to see what all the buzz was about and I was NOT disappointed.

I really like the main characters Will and Tommy. Will is an ex-marine who enlisted so he could use the GI Bill after combat to study classics. Tommy has lived a fairly privileged life and has a sky-high IQ. Tommy has also just entered remission from Leukemia.

Ms. Black does a fantastic job of allowing the reader to fall in love with the characters on their own and together as a couple. There are some fun and quirky scenes that include Gumby, GI Joe, the BM, yellow Chelsea boots and other various toys. This book will make you laugh and have you do a little research as well.

Will and Tommy are on a journey to figure out why Kit Marlowe appears in this century and what truly happened to him in 1593. I’ll be honest, my English Literature skills and memory were not up to snuff in order to follow some of the leads in the book. I had to eventually succumb to the black hole of Wikipedia in order to sort things out.

All in all I really enjoyed this book and wish it would have been longer because I think I could read an entire series based on these fellows. I recommend this book for those who like intellectual pursuits of the highest realm and silly little games with children’s toys. I promise that sentence will make sense after you read the book!! :)
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marlowe's Ghost.