Jessica Degarmo's Reviews > My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Mar 07, 2012

Read in January, 1984

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I was given this book as a Christmas present from my husband, who knew that I read it as a child and wanted very much to read it again. There's something so nostalgic and magical about this book. Who doesn't want to run away and rough it for a while? The author's voice is so authentic that the reader is left to think it's true. Even the forward mentions that the author was asked about that.
The book is not only an enchanting tale, it's also a study of human life. Some feel the need to unplug and escape from harsh reality, and some can actually do it enjoyably for a while. But humans are pack animals by nature, and the main character does eventually gain friends of both the woodland and human variety. We cannot escape our own true nature or desires, even if we allow our baser instincts free reign for a time. It's also a wonderful testament to the creativity of man, who, under tough circumstances, can be innovative and even downright brilliant in order to survive.
This book brings back gentle memories from my own childhood, and indeed, is timeless. I can still relate to it, even after 25 or so years. Recommended reading for anyone who longs to escape, literally and figurately, for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Side of the Mountain.