Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > Deliver Me from Darkness

Deliver Me from Darkness by Tes Hilaire

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristie

Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An intriguing new take on Angels and Demons with a so/so plot but ultimately a story of redemption that just may pull on your heartstrings.

Opening Sentence: Shouldn’t have opened the door.

The Review:

Roland was once a Paladin, a creature of light, but now he is a vampire. He has been a vampire for over 90 years. Roland is a recluse and has habits that border on OCD, until the night a passed out woman is brought to his door. He doesn’t know why his close friend Logan, a Paladin, has brought this human to him. In the beginning he is irritated that his home is the only safe place for her and wants nothing but for her to leave his apartment.

Karissa wakes up in a strange place, only to find that she has been taken in by a vampire, one of the very people that she is running away from. The fact that he appears to be friends with a Paladin doesn’t calm her fears that she is someplace safe. Karissa is determined that Roland is evil and she treats him like the wicked vampire she thinks he is. Unfortunately for Karissa, now that she’s awake Roland is now determined to keep her by his side. Roland now believes her to be his soul mate, but how can that be when he no longer has a soul. Also, how can Karissa be a Paladin when there hasn’t been a female Paladin for almost one hundred years?

Roland tries his best to prove to Karissa that he is not the big, bad vampire out to get her. He feels the mating bond early on. He wants her to believe that he doesn’t want to kill her or use her. Karissa has feelings towards Roland but they are slow to develop once she realizes that he isn’t evil. At first she believes that he is enthralling her before she realizes that they are her true genuine feelings.

The Paladins that Ms. Hilaire has created are a little different for the paranormal genre. Each Paladin has unique powers. Paladin warriors were once created from volunteer angels by God. Time has depleted the Paladin numbers and mating with humans has thinned the bloodlines. It was once said that for every male Paladin there was a female Paladin destined to be their mate. That seems to be no longer true.

Roland is a strong and tortured hero. He has a dark and tragic past, and he hates what he is. He does his best to live a good life even though he really feels like he doesn’t deserve happiness, especially happiness with Karissa. Unfortunately, Karissa is a so-so heroine. She spends a lot of her time weak or passed out. She does rely a lot upon herself to get out of situations but often has to be rescued in the end. Ultimately, I did like Karissa.

There are six different points of view through this story. Surprisingly, besides Karissa, none of them are true Paladins. The other views are mainly bad guys, with the exception of a teenaged vampire who looks up to Roland. The action in this book is a little slow at times and there is some suspense buildup that helps the story along. The end battle was exciting and I was surprised by how this book ended.

There is a religious undertone to Deliver Me From Darkness. For those readers who may be turned off by that, it is not that overwhelming. The Paladin are just thankful towards their creator. There is definitely no preaching going on, so don’t let that turn you off of this book.

Overall, I found Deliver Me From Darkness a moving read. It was dark and tragic and I liked how it was ultimately about redemption for Roland. I look forward to the next book in the series and cannot wait to read Logan’s story.

Notable Scene:

“You know, you really disappoint me, Tom. I thought we had an understanding.”

“Oh? And what’s that?” Tom took up position with the open alley at his back, settling down into a defensive crouch.

He didn’t even get a chance to blink before Goth was on him, spinning him around and slamming him into the dumpster. “That you don’t rape women and I don’t kill you.”

That voice. . . fuck, that voice. It was the one from his nightmare, the one coming from the mouth of the vampire just before he’d sunk his fangs into this throat. Before I’m through with you, you’re going to wish you’d been born without that dick of yours.

No, oh God no. This couldn’t be happening. This wasn’t real.

Sharp teeth skimmed over the collar of his suit jacket, dragging across the clammy flesh of Tom’s neck. A sharp sting and . . .

“Don’t kill me. Oh, please don’t kill me.”

The Paladin Warriors Series:

1. Deliver Me From Darkness

2. Deliver Me From Temptation

FTC Advisory: Sourcebooks Casablanca provided me with a copy of Deliver Me From Darkness. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deliver Me from Darkness.