Kathleen Kelly's Reviews > A Light on the Veranda

A Light on the Veranda by Ciji Ware

Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: finished
Read from March 07 to 17, 2012

Light on the Veranda is another great novel by CiJi Ware. I just love Ms. Ware's novels. They are always full of romance without being overly mushy. This novel is a richly descriptive story of past and present of local families who have lots of skeletons in their magnolia scented closets and the past has a way of catching up with the future.

A wonderfully researched story of very real people with fragile emotions and a city rich with history, of a past when women were controlled by the men in their lives and the morals of the times. When reading this book I could almost feel the humid atmosphere and feel the grandeur of the southern mansions. Ciji Ware does an awesome job of weaving the two stories together seamlessly where dreams are reality. The story is not all honeysuckle and mint juleps as there are unsavory characters and sad circumstances in both the past and the present, but the charm of the old south is definitely a lure that draws the reader in.

Light on the Veranda is the sequel to Midnight on Julia Street with a lot of the same characters. I would recommend that you read these books in order as to get a better understanding and feel for the people and locations. Again I highly recommend all of Ciji Ware's books. you will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Light on the Veranda.

03/11/2012 page 175