Kale's Reviews > Balthazar

Balthazar by Claudia Gray

Mar 21, 12

Read from March 07 to 16, 2012

Skye Tierney is in her own personal purgatory. After Evernight Academy burns down she's forced to return home and finish her junior and senior year in her hometown. A place that reminds her of a brother long gone, parents who've checked out, and an ex-boyfriend who wasn't worth all she gave.

Now her life's in danger and her guardian angel is the swoon worthy Balthazar. A very old vampire wants to enslave Skye and Balthazar knows first hand how ruthless this particular bloodsucker can be, as his past not only comes back to haunt him but hunt Skye as well.

Balthazar marks a return to all the things I loved about the Evernight Series before it all went wrong for me. The romance wasn't as wonderful as Bianca and Lucas, it was a more subtle falling for each other. But it was nice to see a character like Balthazar who deserved better than he got in the previous series to win the girl and have someone appreciate him in that way. I loved the backstories. Getting to see how Balthazar and Charity's story began along with flashbacks to different periods in Balthazar's life was very entertaining. The only thing that seemed a stretch was what and how vamps reacted to Skye's blood. I would have liked some reason as to why her blood is special and how did the other vampires find out about her. Is it because she's a medium, or a more powerful one, do other former human students from Evernight have a similar effect. It just seemed so random that they picked her to come after. Gray did a great job filling us in on the who, you really get to know Balthazar and Skye, I just wish she would have filled us in more on the backstory of the plot's catalyst.

The book kicks things off fast but leaves an explanation as to why quite vague. Still, Balthazar was an entertaining read. It had strong characterizations, and interesting new villains. That definitely redeems some of the disappointment from Afterlife.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balthazar.

03/08/2012 page 175