Bia's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, favorites
Read from May 13 to June 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Another story that uses magic, action and all the other elements for a great book, but the way the author put all this things together was perfect. I’m going to star this review by saying I loved this book to no end, although the beginning was a little bit slower for my liking!

Alina Starkov and Malyen Oretsev are the best friends two little kids could get. They met when their eight years old, sent to live at the orphanage from a Duke since their parents were killed at the war, and had spend the better part of their lives together. Their hometown (you could call it that) was at constantly war and had a terrible and dangerous shadow that separated it from the other entire world (The Shadow Fold).

Alina and Mal work for the King’s military and have a mission that is not the simplest one: go to the other side to the Fold. Alina worked with the mapmakers and Mal was the most important tracker of the First Army. The problem with the Fold is not the dark shadow, but what you can’t see: the volcras (we’ll learn more about the volcras as the book came close to the end, when Alina has to make a choice) that are creatures that will eat them if there is no light to protect the people crossing the Fold.

Let’s just say that really bad things happened and Alina is somehow a Grisha and have the power to summon the sun. She catches the attention of the Darkling because she is the only hope to destroy the Fold. From this point on, Alina must be separated from Mal to learn how to control her power as a Grisha and there’s no better person to teach some things to her than the most powerful man of the Kingdom: The Darkling.

The way Mrs. Bardugo described their interaction and the way the Darkling was with Alina, made me in love with him for the better part of this book. And I couldn’t believe that I fall for the bad guy! When I learned the Darkling’s real plans I was stunned. I kept saying to myself: this is a mistake…he is not going to do that! He wants to control Alina’s power and expand the Fold to all his enemies.

All in all, this is a perfect read with lots of struggles for power and what is right and at the end of the day, Mal and Alina are together again. But this time they have to adjust to all the changes that occurred when they were not part of each other day. Speaking of Mal… sigh! I could have one Mal with me all day long and I wouldn’t be tired of him ;). I’ll write a little part that Mal says to Alina, just so you have a close description of what this boy could say that was the most perfect way to express his feeling for someone:

"I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.

*Sigh and fan myself!

Ok, I finished! I loved it and I’m dying to read the sequel!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an ARC to me via NetGalley and thanks to this brilliant author for her story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

05/13/2012 page 19
5.0% "Let's see what this ARC is about!!! \o/"
05/21/2012 page 68
18.0% "Work, let's have a little talk: You let me read this book and I'll concentrate better on my next day at work...hihihihi"
05/21/2012 page 68
05/28/2012 page 120
33.0% "Ok, now this book is getting good!" 1 comment
05/31/2012 page 155
42.0% "I think I may have a thing for the Darkling...he seems sooooo lonely!"
05/31/2012 page 195