clear skies's Reviews > The Rebuilding Year

The Rebuilding Year by Kaje Harper

2519650
Mar 15, 2013

Read in March, 2012

Ms. Harper if you keep writing like this you're going to have a fan in me for life. I have read two of your other books (Life Lessons series) and I love you writing style, your realistic characters and the stories you tell.

The Rebuilding Year was no different, great story, great characters and a beautiful love story. Ryan was a fire fighter for eight years before an injury stopped him. Now he's moved to a small town, lucky to be alive and trying to become a doctor. His first day ends up with him with a sore head and a new friend in the college's groundskeeper John. John was a big shot before his marriage fell to pieces. Now he has a good job but with crap pay, he has daily fights with his ex-wife and he hardly sees his two kids.

Ryan and John form an unlikely friendship that ends up leading to more. The author built their story both beautifully and realistically. The story wasn't about when they finally had sex. It was about their friendship and how they were each other's other half. Ryan may be G4Y in this story and some might balk at that. John on the other hand is not. His coming out story is a quiet one, and not a big drama; which I loved.

The kids and the ex-wife are prominent in this story, but they don't overrun it and they are integral to the characters. Kids can usually get annoying in M/M books but Ms. Harper did a good job blending all the characters within the story. I probably didn't appreciate the "evil ex-wife" which so many M/M writers go for. I usually find it both a cop out and pretty insulting when woman are written as evil so and so's in M/M fiction. However, I'll give it to the author she didn't go too overboard.

Overall and excellent story - fun and interesting characters. I read it in one go and a book I'll re-read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rebuilding Year.