Mady's Reviews > Sea of Poppies

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: mine, 2010, favourites
Recommended for: Alexandra, Tania, Hirondelle
Read from February 11 to May 21, 2010

Just finished reading this book and now I want moooooore!! This is the first book of a triology and the 2nd book hasn't been published yet! Arghhh!

I want to know more about former raja Neel, about camaleonic Paulette, about her almost brother Jodu, about resourceful Deeti, about freshman seaman Zachary... It took me a little while to get to know the characters (because they are a few!), but once I did, I could relate to them all and started reading at full speed. This novel takes place in India, at a time where all peasants were forced to grow poppies for the opium factories and destiny brings these people together, sailing on the Ibis, a former slave vessel.

I don't know how Amitav Ghosh does it, but he can always manage to make me identify with his characters, whether they are male or female! Somehow he makes them all seem so distinct and unique, it's hard to believe they are only characters in a book and not real people! Only down side of the novel was the vocabulary... It was not so easy for me to understand all the sealife and seaman (English) language.

There's so much in this book that I feel if I read it again, I'd find new things, notice more details... Definitely Amitav Ghosh is one of my fave writers, and one I hope will publish many more novels :) ...especially volumes two and three of this triology!! ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea of Poppies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Let me know how you like it. I was always attracted by the cover and the plot description in the back, but didn’t want to risk it as I never read anything by him.

Mady I have read other books from Amitav Ghosh and I really liked them. So far, I'm enjoying this one as well :) I can lent you my copy, if you want to! Tania will probably read it next once I'm done with it.
I'm always lloking for new Amitav Ghosh's fans ;)

Fiona Ooooh I loved this book and the second book is on its way to me right this minute. I hope to receive it by tomorrow. Trouble is, I really need to re-read Sea of Poppies just to remind myself of the whole story and characters. I can remember the basics, but probably forgotten the details. I love Ghosh as well.