Dora Okeyo's Reviews > The First Part Last

The First Part Last by Angela Johnson

Mar 07, 12

Read on March 07, 2012

I have long been a fan of books that have won a Coretta Scott King Award, and my favorite read was 'The Rock and The River' by Kekla Magoon.
The First Part Last, is deemed as a coming of age story-but I wouldn't agree with that. I beg to differ because a book that moves you like this one-is not to be labeled or considered as fit in a certain category. This book is limitless, because you are in Bobby's world, and he tells you that yes-he is 16 years old, his Girlfriend has Eclampsia, and he has to raise their daughter Feather. He also tells you that he'd like to study too, hang out with his friends, heck- he'd want some sleep, but he cannot because someone is looking up to him and as scary as that is, he is not giving up.
This is a good read. It is split in two parts by the author: 'then' and 'now.' You go back and forth into Bobby's life, his thoughts, hope, dreams and family-and in the end all that matters is raising Feather right, no matter how hard that is for him. It is sad given that no one would want to be in his shoes, but it also a reality for some teens across the world.
It is a book worth reading and I must say that Angela Johnson, says it as it is and to weave such a story of strength, pain, and also endurance in tough times with very few words, is phenomenal. I am getting myself her other books, also winners of the Coretta Scott King award, to read: "Heaven" and "Looking for Red."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Part Last.