Katie's Reviews > You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations

You're Not Doing It Right by Michael Ian Black

Apr 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

I plowed through this book in about five hours, and I absolutely loved it.

I don't get emotional when reading, not even when Dumbledore died in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (belated spoiler alert on that one, but if you haven't read it by now you have no one to blame but yourself), an event at which many of my friends reported openly weeping. From reading other reviews, I was expecting this book to be a mix of the humorous and the serious, but I didn't expect it to tug at my heartstrings so strongly. The last chapter in particular, when he's describing the passage of time with his wife, how her face has changed over the years and how he expects them to grow old together -- it just got me. Perhaps it was because I was sitting on the couch next to my husband at the time, but Black's words really resonated, surprisingly profound and personal and immediately applicable to my own life.

There were other throat-catching moments, and many more that made me laugh out loud. I was particularly fond of the scene where he fantasizes about parading his newly-purchased pet sore puppy in front of the pissy animal shelter woman. I could go on and on. For the first time in a while, as I was finishing the final pages, I found myself plotting the time when I could re-read it, something I rarely do. Even if you're not familiar with Black's comedy, his prose is well worth your time, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You're Not Doing It Right.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Dumbledore dies??

Katie I'm sorry you had to find out this way.