Kagama-the Literaturevixen's Reviews > Chameleon

Chameleon by Kenya Wright

Mar 16, 14

bookshelves: shapeshifters

Cameo is a mix breed and her white hair and scaly white skin makes her odder than most inhabitants of Santeria,the compound or habitat where people of her kind live.

Together with her friend Wiz she takes on work as a stand in or decoy for people who can pay. Its risky but its a living.

It all goes to hell one day when the person she has been hired to impersonate turns out to be dead and they were actually being used as scapegoats.They manage to get away but in the process Wiz is hurt.

This catches the attentions of a man called the Bearded dragon who has a score unsettled with Wiz.But he is not telling her exactly what brought this so she decided to find out the truth herself together with her friends.

This book had potential I was especially excited about the shapeshifting abilites part of the maincharacter and it is explored in an interesting way and the way she goes about her shapeshifting is explained too.

Cameo doesnt like the way she looks since she was abused by her mother because of this she keeps Magazine cutouts of womens faces and bodies by her mirror so she can pick out those she like the best and mimic them.She just wants to be a normal girl.

description

I quite liked her personality for the most part even if she made some choices I didnt agree with or completely understand.

She felt like an authentic teenager albeit a shapeshifting one with scales and the supporting cast wasnt unlikable either apart from one person

But as you can see I only gave this two stars and the reason for this is that the plot was so unfocused and I was often confused about what was really going on.And when I was starting to think I was starting to get a grip on the story it got screwier.Not in a "my mind is blown" kind of way I might add.

And to be honest I didnt find the love interest very appealing.

He kept confusing Cameo,stating that no all they could ever be was friends only to snap and turn into this creepy guy whose mantra was no one is allowed to touch you but me. And then in the next hes pushing her away again and refusing to tell her the full truth.

Towards the end I felt the author simply dropped the original plotline just so she could get to the ending and find a way for the two of them to have a happy ending. Despite there being loose ends with the plotline and having to leave supporting characters hanging.

The sentiment between the couple can more or less amount to thist:

"But what about the others?"

"Eh never mind as long as we are happy"

There were also several grammatical errors wich irked me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chameleon.

03/15 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christina ~ Brunette Reader I'm not sure I would like to read a book with a scaly heroine... anyway, you are so much braver than me! LOL ;)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Christina *Miss Regency Victorian London* wrote: "I'm not sure I would like to read a book with a scaly heroine... anyway, you are so much braver than me! LOL ;)"

Oh I am not sure I am so brave really (but thanks anyways). I just like to read and sometimes the odd ones are the best.

Maybe not so in this case though but it had a fascinating premise and you know nothing gained nothing won. lol