Vanessa Wolf's Reviews > House of Odd

House of Odd by Dean Koontz

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: owned
Read on April 14, 2012

To start this review its only fair to note I am a fan of graphic novels. I believe art and literature can come together and the idea that its a "picture book for grown-ups" shows a misconception of what the artists are trying to achieve. Fans of Odd rejoice! This latest addition to the Odd series takes us back to Pico Mundo to a house where Odd's gift may not be able to save him.
If you've been reluctant to pick up the Odd graphic novels, toss that reluctance away! This is your chance to see Stormy in action and it gives the books greater depth with further understanding of their relationship. Queenie Chan's art homages to the Japanese style, but also touches on the American conception of how a graphic novel should work. You won't have to read it backwards and the layout is familiar if you've read a comic book before.
Definitely the most scary Odd story yet, and the ending is very satisfying. As a bonus there's a preview of "Odd Hours" which I found disappointing since that volume has been out for ages now and everyone has read it. I would have much preferred a preview of the much promised-and-not-seen "Odd Apocalypse" which I hope will tie in one of my favorite Koontz heroes Christopher Snow. Also, there wasn't a lot of the concept art that was in previous volumes, such as "In Odd We Trust" probably because how everyone should look has been settled.
I'm giving it the full five stars for the story itself, though usually I rate graphic stories based on the whole of what they bring; concept art, covers, bonus material, etc... because you can usually get issues before hand, not so in the Odd books, which in the end creates a veritable all-at-once-feast, rather than a meal by courses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Odd.