Rebecca's Reviews > Ruth

Ruth by Marlene S. Lewis

May 21, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 16 to 21, 2012

I read pretty much all of this book in a night, some of that was due to insomnia but a lot of it was because it's a very well written and enjoyable book. Although I am very glad that I am not friends with Ruth, because in the main, it's a good way to get yourself killed, arrested or into a plane crash.

Marlene S. Lewis' story is deep, frequently heart-wrenching and full of characters that you can empathise with or despise. It's these characters that drive the story so forcefully onwards and ensures that you don't end up feeling thoroughly depressed by all the events that happen to Ruth over the years.

Bad point - My bugbear... so much of the plot is summarised on the back cover - Ruth's return to Papua comes less than 100 pages from the end of the book. There are so many twists and shocking events in this book, it was a shame that so many of them were foreshadowed before I even got to them.

I don't really know how this book ends up being life affirming, but it does - it's survival against all the odds and bouncing back from whatever is thrown at you. I really enjoyed it.

I am obliged to inform you that I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads scheme and would like to thank Marlene S. Lewis for the opportunity to read her novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruth.