Jen (A Book and a Latte)'s Reviews > Ten

bookshelves: bea-2012, signed-by-author, own-arc
Read from July 24 to 28, 2012

Originally posted on A Book and a Latte:

Creepy. Suspenseful. Thrilling.

Wow. Gretchen McNeil knows how to set a creepy scene! The creepiness begins at the very start with the characters arriving on the island. From the description of the island itself, to the layout of White Rock House, Gretchen sets the scene and gears you up for this thriller!

TEN is told in the third person, focusing around Meg. At some point I wished it was told in the first person from Meg’s perspective, but looking back, overall, I don’t think it would have worked as well. Gretchen weaved a fantastic story full of suspense about ten characters trapped on an island that are killed one by one. I tried all along to keep track of them all and figure out who the killer was, but all my guesses were wrong. I didn’t know until the killer was revealed to the reader. The book is a re-telling of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie but I haven’t read the original so it was new and full of awesomesauce for me!

Let’s just go through the creepy factor checklist, shall we? TEN has them all.
• Isolated location, the island – check
• Creepy laid out house – check
• Cut off from the outside world (no phone or internet) – check
• No power – check
• A character with mental illness – check
• Boat house – check

This was the book I didn’t even know I was waiting for! It’s full of delicious suspense, a heart-pounding climax, and storyline with characters that keep you guessing. If you're a fan of creepy stories and thrillers, then you'll love TEN!

Read my story about how I got creeped out while reading TEN in the original review on my blog.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.

07/24/2012 page 50
07/27/2012 page 101
33.0% "Creepy goodness!!!! This book is awesome." 1 comment
07/27/2012 page 169
56.0% "Holy crap, I have to stop reading (for the night) because I'm freaked out. The power has gone off 3 times putting me in darkness, alone. Power returns but it's seriously freaking me out with this story!!!"