Michael Larson's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 16: Super Team

Fables, Vol. 16 by Bill Willingham

Mar 06, 12

** spoiler alert ** I've been curious to see what direction Bill Willingham would take 'Fables' ever since the war with the Adversary. I know this happened a while ago, but all of the Mr. Dark business felt like The Adversary Redux rather than moving in a new direction. It's hard for me to give this a star rating, because even while I have troubles with some of the plotting of the story, I always enjoy reading the newest Fables collection. Willingham has created a vast world, full of story potential, and this collection sees some of those stories beginning to take shape. I like that Bufkin has set out on his own journey, even if it is of the too-familiar 'save the world' variety. I was surprised to see the Mr. Dark storyline resolved so abruptly here. The 'Super Team' of the title never really got much of anything to do, other than give Pinocchio an opportunity to spout some superhero trivia.

This brings me to what I think is my main issue with 'Fables' as a whole- there's a whole lot of talking about big, momentous deeds and events, and then when these big, momentous events occur, they seem to happen so abruptly that they lose a lot of their dramatic impact. I had this problem with the resolution of the war with the Adversary, and here, with the final dispatch of Mr. Dark. Willingham is an excellent storyteller, but sometimes I wish he'd do more showing as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 16.