Giselle at Book Nerd Canada's Reviews > When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Nov 24, 14

bookshelves: from-publishers, own, 2012, unsolicited
Read on May 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Reading the description off the back of this book made me think it was about Romeo and Juliet, but it wasn't. It was better. The story follows Rosaline, Rob's best friend and next-door neighbour. Following a long summer without Rob, Rosaline develops real feelings for Rob, and without any explanation, Rob finally makes a move, and the two start dating. Their senior year of high school start and with that comes the privilege of hanging out in the lounge where it’s exclusive to seniors only.

Now I have no idea if I was blind and ignorant in high school, but why in the world are popular people considered to be rulers of the school? Take the character of Rosaline’s best friend Charlie. Beautiful, and absolutely annoying. She’s also quite mean! I wished Rosie had the backbone and the strength to stand up for herself. Why compare yourself to your best friends? What does it do to you? It makes you feel inferior and I felt Rosaline felt inferior to Charlie and Olivia. Her whining about how beautiful and smart her best friends were annoyed me to no end. Can I just give Rosaline proof that she is also those things? Rob loves her. He loves her, and not just because of her looks but because she’s an amazing person. Sometimes, characters like Rosie make me want to coddle her so she can realize she should be confident. Screw low self-esteem!

Now to the retelling of the story, I thought it was done well. Capulet and Monteg families feuding as usual, but I loved the spin that Rosaline was Juliet’s cousin. Wonderful twist, to a modern retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, When You Were Mine is a delightful read!

Quotes

“It's not that most girls are delusional, per se. It's just that they have this subtle ability to warp actual circumstances into something different.”—Rosie (10)

“I guess that's the thing about getting older. You realize differences can be good things. Not just bad ones.”—Rosie (238)

“So I guess Shakespeare didn't get it wrong, after all. The truth is that there are many different endings to the same story. This one is mine.”—Rosie (334)
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.

04/30/2012 page 4
1.0% "Couldn't wait to read this one. Am starting now!"