Emily's Reviews > The Sharp Time

The Sharp Time by Mary  O'Connell

Mar 31, 12

Read from March 06 to 15, 2012

Mary O'Connell is a genius. Point blank, period. This did not seem like her first novel at all. The way O'Connell knitted her words together almost made it seem like poetry. Her words were so lush and grand that I couldn't believe this was a young adult book.
I'm not going to lie though, there were some flaws in the writing. O'Connell almost made it seem that Sandinista, the main character was insane and made the book confusing and clouded at times. The use of repetition was used so much that I found myself saying," Okay, come on, let's get on with it." I also found it to be a bit lonely (but I think that was what the author was going for). There weren't many supporting characters, which made me a little disappointed, if not bored at times.
Sandinista, when not in her insane times, was pretty awesome. Yes, she was depressed and bitter, but she was also extremely persuasive, witty and real. Bradley, her coworker, made the book more enjoyable to read. He brought a weightless and fun feel to the book that I really liked.
This book was not like one that I had ever read before. It was short and simple yet full of detail and complicated (if that makes any sense). I strongly suggest to give this book a try. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this author.
Cover Rating: 4/5
Character Rating: 4/5
Style: 4/5
Development: 3/5
Overall:
****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sharp Time.

03/08/2012 page 67