Annabel Smith's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

Aug 07, 2012

bookshelves: 5-star-rated, usa, faves, whisky-charlie-foxtrot, 2012-faves
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read from June 11 to 12, 2012 , read count: 1

Permission to gush, please! This book is a masterpiece! I enjoyed Look at Me, and The Keep even more so but this to me is a book by a writer working at the height of her powers. I found it absolutely electrifying.

To me the greatest strength in Egan's work is her ability to get inside people's heads, especially into the dark corners. She has a sort of x-ray vision when it comes to neurosis and this really resonates with me. Her characters are so exposed, their insecurities so pathetic and yet so relatable.

It feels very contemporary. Probably you have heard about the chapter written as a PowerPoint presentation. Sounds like a gimmick but it completely works. In fact, I found it one of the most moving chapters of the book.

I loved the approach of writing each chapter from a different character's point of view, and shifting back and forth in time. It kept me intrigued, like doing a puzzle without having seen what the end result is supposed to look like.

It is sad, and funny (my favourite combination). It is disconcerting at times, and yet somehow uplifting. Nothing I can say here will really do it justice. You must read it!

Quotes Annabel Liked

Jennifer Egan
“If I had a view like this to look down on every day, I would have the energy and inspiration to conquer the world. The trouble is, when you most need such a view, no one gives it to you.”
Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye Great review. Do you mean "ability" in the second paragraph?

Annabel Smith Ian wrote: "Great review. Do you mean "ability" in the second paragraph?"

Yes I did - thanks for noticing - you must be an editor? I have amended it thank you.