Rose's Reviews > Arrow

Arrow by R.J. Anderson

F_50x66
Mar 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

I'm reading this series with my daughters (age 6 and 10) and we were very disappointed that the third and final book of the series wasn't available in the US. We ended up ordering it via thebookdepository.com. Now that we're done, they're already pestering me to order the next faery book, Swift, which is a new but related series.

Anyway, what I particularly love about Arrow (and yes, you should probably read the other two before this to get the complete back story on why they're fighting this war) is twofold: Timothy, and the culture shock aspect. We already saw Timothy's own struggle in Wayfarer, and now he's emerged on the other side. I love his loyalty and slightly hyper admiration of certain faeries in particular, as well as his determination to do the right thing, "nothing wavering" in this one--he's very endearing! The culture shock aspect of the book that Rhosmari deals with is spot on as well. That feeling of exhaustion from trying to figure out what people really mean when they use words you understand but have a whole different set of rules underneath felt so, so accurate to me. And it's really two different culture clashes--the Green Isles faeries vs. the ones of the Oak and the ones from the Empress's realm, and the clash between different moral codes. Rhosmari struggles with the question of how to support the rebels in a war when she's committed to nonviolence*, and how to keep her integrity in a situation she was never raised to face. Good stuff!

*something that will resonate rather strongly with anyone familiar with the story of the people of Ammon in the Book of Mormon, and their pledge to not use weapons again, ever--and what happened when they wanted to help defend the nation that was protecting them

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arrow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna May When reading it, the story of the people of Ammon was the first thing to pop into my head!