Kristi's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Mar 15, 13

bookshelves: fantasy-challenge
Read from August 30 to September 05, 2012

Rachel lives in the city of Baalboden. It’s surrounded by this huge wall. It’s the Wall that protects them from these crazy dragons. (Sorta reminded me of Reign of Fire.) The city is also controlled by this jerk, the Commander. Apparently back in the day, he was part of this group that defeated one of these dragons, and he has some mysterious power over them now. So even though they absolutely hate this guy, they have to do what he says, or get burnt to smithereens.

The story starts as Rachel’s Dad is being declared dead. He’s a tracker for the Commander so he goes beyond the Wall on these tasks for him. He didn’t come home from his last task. And now Rachel is all alone. Except for her father’s apprentice, Logan. They have a “history” if you know what I mean. Oh, and then there is Oliver, who is like a grandfather to Rachel. But Rachel knows her father isn’t dead and she’s going over the Wall to find him.

I’m not sure what I think about this book. I wanted to love it, but there was something that kept me from connecting with the story. I wish I could pinpoint it to one thing, but I don’t think I can. I’m not sure if this was a fantasy novel or a futuristic science fiction novel, perhaps it was both. I didn’t feel like we were given a lot of world building as a reader. I could see that changing in future titles of the series. This is a series isn’t it?

I liked the characters, but I didn’t really “feel” the relationship between Rachel and Logan. I know there was that history of her pouring her heart out to him and not getting the response she wanted… don’t worry that wasn’t spoilery, it’s in the first few pages… but I just didn’t get what attracted them to each other, besides the fact that they were both alone in this world.

I enjoyed the story enough. It was really entertaining and I think that the series has a lot of potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

09/02/2012 page 115

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I feel the absolute same about this book. For me Rachel and Logan had no chemistry at all! And for the first 150 pages I coulnd´t connect with the story at all!