Jazmine Shoup's Reviews > Cupcake Tycoon

F 50x66
Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read in March, 2012

Babymouse: Cupcake Tycoon, written and illustrated by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm, is a great children’s graphic novel that follows the story of a young determined mouse. Babymouse, the main character, is an adventurous young mouse who is determined to win her schools cupcake selling fundraiser. Babymouse accidently breaks the water pipe in the school library and the school decides to hold a fundraiser to get money to repair the damage done to the library. This particular fundraiser is very exciting to Babymouse because it involves one of her favorite things, cupcakes! Babymouse very much wants to win the prize for selling the most cupcakes, and so she sets off to devise a plan to do so. At first her attempts seem unsuccessful, but soon she comes up with the perfect plan to sell the most cupcakes and win the prize- a cupcake stand. The character of Babymouse was cleverly developed and added a great amount of interest and intrigue in the plot of this graphic novel.
The illustrations throughout were also very well done and added to the overall impact of the book. There were only three colors throughout: white, black, and pink. Although there wasn’t much variety in color, there was a great amount of variety in illustrations. The word bubbles and carton style drawings and page set up added to the overall effectiveness of this graphic novel.
I would use this book in 3rd to 5th grade to teach a lesson about graphic novels as a genre of literature. I think that it is an important genre that students are often unaware of, but can add an important understanding of literature as a whole. I think that this book is appropriate for middle to older elementary aged students because it has some more sophisticated text and is longer in length. However, I do not think that it would be too difficult for 3rd graders, or uninteresting for 5th graders. Overall, I really enjoyed this graphic novel and thought that it did a good job presenting the ideas throughout the novel.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cupcake Tycoon.