Rachel Hancock's Reviews > Stone Soup

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: traditional
Read in March, 2012

"Stone Soup" is a traditional story written and illustrated by Marcia Brown. In the book, three soldiers are returning home from war and are looking for a warm meal and a place to sleep. The soldiers ask the peasants for a bite to eat and a loft to sleep in, however, just before the soldiers arrive the townspeople hid all of their food because they said they hardly had enough for themselves. Since the soldiers are hungry and the people will not give them food, they get the entire town to help them make "stone soup." As the book progresses, each of the ingredients are added to the soup and the townspeople bring their food out to add to the pot. The story ends with the town (and soldiers) enjoying the soup and dancing into the night. Finally, the soldiers are given a place to sleep and the next day, the town sends them off with a warm goodbye.

This book has nice illustrations which appear in black, white, and red only. The book received a Caldecott Honor Award and Brown does a wonderful job at portraying the facial expressions of the characters. Additionally, the illustrations show the town and the soldiers.

I enjoyed reading this book and appreciate it's traditional story. I believe there is a lot children can take away from the story and is one that will stay in their minds for a very long time. Although I loved the story and message that it shared, I feel like the book is dated and that children may not like it simply because the pictures are not bright and colorful. All in all, however, I liked this book and am happy to have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Soup.