Claudia's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

bookshelves: ya-books, sequoyah-2010
Recommended to Claudia by: Elaine and Lori
Recommended for: all YA fans
Read in August, 2008

Wow -- a first book with all the intensity and honesty we can stand. Clay is such a good kid, and yet he receives a box of tapes that proclaim his 'contribution' to Hannah's decision to commit suicide. He, and the other 13 people, must listen to all the tapes, recorded just days before Hannah decided to kill herself. They hear HER responses to their actions.

It's all there -- boys who objectify girls, who brag about sexual exploits that are lies; girls who manipulate, who put others down, who lie for their own reasons. And through it all, Clay is worried about his own responsibility in her decision.

I am so eager to share this with my students. The truth rings on every page. They will recognize these characters, and learn, as Clay does, we can't know how far our touch reaches.

Great book!

Quotes Claudia Liked

Jay Asher
“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”
Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why

Terri Claudia, I'm so glad you agree with me about this book! Someone commented on my review of it that the protagonist was whiny and self-centered....

Terri

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Claudia,

I will have to read this one. Just a FYI, we parents who have lost children to suicide, really hate the term "commit" suicide because it sounds like a crime. We prefer died by suicide or completed suicide or lost their battle with depression or something different that "commit". However, it does not offend me to hear that because that is how the vast majority of people refer to suicide. I am only telling you so that we can educate people on this horrible matter.