Laura Bang's Reviews > Village School

Village School by Miss Read

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: british, country-life, fiction, favourites
Read from March 04 to 06, 2012

Miss Read is the headmistress of the "village school" at Fairacre in 1950s rural England. In this first book, she narrates the goings-on of a year in the life of the school -- and she relates all these adventures (and misadventures!) with delightful charm and wit.

It's also interesting to note some of the differences and similarities from not-so-very-long-ago. There were some shocking-by-today's-standards racial stereotypes, but at the same time, some of the musings on the state of public education are sadly unchanged in half a century.

Overall, just a lovely book, perfect for curling up to enjoy with a cup of tea! And I am looking forward to spending more days in Fairacre in the future. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Village School.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm so glad you liked this! I know I always looked forward to spending some days in Fairacre with Miss Read. I was sad when I reached the end.

Laura Bang Of course I liked it, silly! This is exactly my cup of tea! :) I shall savor this series over the next long while. (Now you have to read Lark Rise! It's got the same sort of feeling as these books!)