Crystal (Kris)'s Reviews > The Rivals

The Rivals by Daisy Whitney

Mar 06, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, books-reviewed

After reading The Mockingbirds, I was excited to pick up The Rivals. While The Mockingbirds could have ended where it did, I loved the characters and story, and I was a very happy reader with book two sitting next to me, especially with how different it proved to be from book one. (While I enjoyed book one, it would be boring to read the same formula in a different setting with a new case.) The Mockingbirds dealt with date rape. In book two, some students are using prescription drugs to cheat; plus, the Mockingbirds find rivals in another student group of vigilantes.

While the story picks up where book one left off, book two is different in that there is more intrigue: there is a case, but we don't know who is at fault and must figure it out along with the characters, who show some amazing development once again. Alex struggles with leading the Mockingbirds. While the idea of a student vigilante group sounds amazing, it is hard to maintain. Alex doesn't have a clear set of moral guidelines to follow, and she doesn't know when to be a friend, a student, or the head of a student vigilante group.

At the same time, Alex is still suffering from the same experiences that haunted her during book one, and her experiences prove an obstacle to forming new relationships. She and the other main characters' ethics are tested; they fail, they admit their mistakes, and they grow. I loved them the better for their human weaknesses. The culprits, on the other hand, are characters that you love to hate.

While there is not as much action as book one, The Rivals also confronts ethical issues that makes us consider what we would do in the characters' situations, and it is a great followup to The Mockingbirds. Whether or not you've read book one, The Rivals is a book that I would definitely recommend; and if you haven't read book one already, I highly suggest you get your hands on a copy!

Original posted at Imaginary Reads
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rivals.