Frank's Reviews > Circle of Stones

7620837
Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: historical, native-american
Read from March 06 to 17, 2012

I read Waldo's "Sacajewea" several years ago and found it to be engrossing and well-researched. In that long novel, I learned of a possible connection of the Mandan Indians with Madoc, the legendary Welshman who purportedly sailed to America in the late 12th century and established a colony there. "Circle of Stones" is the first in a series of novels by Waldo telling the story of Madoc. This novel was obviously well-researched but I found it somewhat lacking in plot and I struggled sometimes with Waldo's stilted language in this one. The novel is actually about Brenda, Madoc's mother, who had an illicit affair with Owain, the 12th century Welsh prince. The book ends before Madoc makes his voyage to America so I was a little disappointed in that. However, I found most of the historical information about Wales, the Druids, King Henry II, and the wars among the heirs to the Welsh kingdom, to be very interesting. Overall, I would mildly recommend this. I have a copy of the next book in this series, "Circle of Stars", and hope it will be better.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circle of Stones.