'Aussie Rick''s Reviews > A WAR OF NERVES: SOLDIERS AND PSYCHIATRISTS, 1914-1994

A WAR OF NERVES by Ben Shephard
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A WAR OF NERVES.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Fowler I bought and read this book some time ago as it relates to my excessive interest in the emotional cost of combat on soldiers. I think it is the most complete and readable history of combat stress in the 20th century, providing good insight into how military psychiatry has evolved from "shell shock" (little understood in WW 1 to PTSD to-day. Its understandinbg is still evolving in Afghanistan and Iraq

'Aussie Rick' Hi Bob, thanks for that. I ended up ordering a copy as it did look quite good and offering an interesting account on a very worth while subject. I also ordered a copy of this book in case your interested:

The Anatomy Of Courage by Lord Moran by Lord Moran

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Fowler Surprisingly, you have really hit a nerve with me here, Rick. This was the first book on this subject that grabbed me, the book that set me off to write a book of my own on this topic some years later. Lord Moran's thoughts are, I think, old hat now to military analysts, but he really broke new ground with this one. It's a classic and I think you'll like it. Cheers.