Benjamin's Reviews > Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are

Buying In by Rob Walker

Sep 03, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2008

An interesting book profiling corporate america's desire to sell you stuff and people thoughts about how they are immune to it while at the same time company's are still sneaking things into your subconscious. The author coins the term "Murketing" to descibe the combination of murky, somewhat underhanded marketing that this entails. The promotion of this book on GoodReads makes me think that the author has learned a thing or two about promotion during his interviews...

A selection from the book references the Harvard Business Review. 'The new consumer "has lately become articulate" with a "demand for information", becoming "better educated and better organized with a growing familiarity with the mechanics of advertising" They have "suffered from deceptive and stupid advertising long enough" and it is only inevitable that power should shift to them in an economy that has moved from scarcity to abundance" Such was the state of things... in 1939'

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The author loses some steam towards the end of the book, and his point about marketers tends to drift a little. He also seems to be enamoured with the "Beautiful Losers" who get an early chapter and continued reference throughout the book.

That being said, it is an interesting read on the consumer in the 21st century, as "immune" to advertising as we think we are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buying In.