Sp!ke's Reviews > The Taking

The Taking by Dean Koontz

U 50x66
Mar 06, 2012

I've read just over a dozen of Koontz's books (and have yet to come across one that even remotely approaches anything less than 110% over-the-top bite-your-fingernails-off-all-the-way-up-to-your-shoulders creepiness), but I have to say that "The Taking" makes every single one of his other books that i'd already read (COMBINED) look like they don't have enough booga-booga-booga between the lot of them to scare the crap out of a dirty diaper! Simply put, it's gotta be the most ferociously original idea for an extraterrestrial invasion story ever conceived: focusing in particular on the residents of one small, isolated mountain town in California, Koontz wastes no time in sending the whole human race to Hell-in-a-bucket with the arrival of homicidally bloodthirsty aliens who "storm" the Earth (no pun intended) under cover of what we unsuspecting humans believe to be just another torrential downpour of rain...until all means of worldwide electronic communication (radio, TV, the Internet) suddenly and inexplicably go out, one by one, and the people in that little California town begin to realize that there's something else - something decidedly N-O-T human, and even less friendly - in play, not only in their town, but all over the entire planet... something with unspeakably diabolical plans for Homo Sapiens! If you're looking for a knock-down drag-out slam-bang kick-ass alien invasion/horror novel that will have your All-Time Top 10 scariest nightmares wondering how THEY'RE ever gonna get a good night's sleep again after you've finished this book, I heartily recommend Dean Koontz's "The Taking". DEAN KOONTZ ROCKS!!!!! (The only thing I'm sorry about is that I can't rate this book any higher than 5 out of 5; even 1,000 out of 1,000 doesn't seem fair!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taking.