Izlinda's Reviews > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Dec 20, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories
Read in December, 2008

So I put a hold on this book through the library, and I was pretty surprised when a copy was available relatively soon after the release. Then again, there were about 17 copies ordered through the entire inter-library loan.

Too bad the collector's edition has been sold out on Amazon.com. I admit I am more interested in purchasing it now, because this little book was rather delightful. There are five short wizard's children's tales, as it were. (I don't know if it would be appropriate to say "fairy tales" since it's from the wizarding world.) After each, there's some commentary by Professor Dumbledore, which is interesting. They detail some objections to the story or the reactions the stories elicited through the wizarding community. It's awesome seeing more of the history of the animosity the Malfoys have held against Muggles and Dumbledore.

I really liked "The Fountain of Fair Fortune" and "The Warlock's Hairy Heart," though I didn't dislike any of the others, too, or even went "meh." I just liked those two a bit more. I really recommend this for people who liked the Harry Potter series, or even those who haven't read them, but would enjoy children's tales.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tales of Beedle the Bard.