Amanda's Reviews > Girlchild

Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 11 to 28, 2012

This is why I love reading so much; this book is like nothing I've ever read before and it took me to a place I've never been.

"My name is Rory Dawn Hendrix, feebleminded daughter of a feebleminded daughter, herself the product of feebleminded stock. Welcome to the Calle."

Rory Dawn comes from a liniage of bad news - both her mother and grandmother were teenage moms, sexually abused, alocholics, gamblers, smokers, and most importanly they have been stuck in Calle de las Flores - the trailer park. While it is clear that history seems to repeat itself, Rory's Grandma instills these expecations into Rory - "Someone’s got to make it and it has to be you.” Does she?

The writing style of Tupelo Hassman is unique - maybe not for everyone - very short chapters (sometimes in the form of a letter or social worker's report) at times poor grammar and very choppy. However in the end, it creates such a tragic, beautiful and original story. I loved it from the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girlchild.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Tupelo Hassman
“I may not have been born captain of this boat, but I was born to rock it.”
Tupelo Hassman, Girlchild

Tupelo Hassman
“But once in a while one loses his heart and once I think I did too, but never Mama. Her heart stays right in place and it's wham-bam-don't-give-a-damn every single time. Whatever she's got, that thing that can say good-bye like good-byes don't mean anything, I didn't get that. And the glass unicorn with the shiny gold horn and hooves that sits by my bed proves it, proves that I can't let go of things like Mama can.”
Tupelo Hassman, Girlchild

06/11/2012 page 55
06/19/2012 page 158
57.0% "This book is breaking my heart"
show 2 hidden updates…