Bryan's Reviews > The Republic

The Republic by Plato

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: classic-literature, highly-recommend, history, how-to, nonfiction, philosophy, recommend, religion, spiritual, theology, to-read-again
Recommended for: Anyone and everyone
Read from January 19 to February 03, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

It's a fantastic premise for civilization. One of the funny things about reading this book is that you often find yourself musing, "Oh, of course, Plato. That makes sense already, and the world already works like that..." Then you stop and realize that the reason the world works in that particular way is because Plato laid down the reasoning for it, and then you smack yourself in the forehead with amazement.

The one thing I didn't like about this book was Plato's call for censorship. At one point he even claims to a certain extent that art ought to be extirpated from civilization. While he rightly illuminates that a dishonest artist can mislead his viewer/audience, I think it's wrong to say that because of the character of some artists that no artists should be allowed to create—only except they create according to a certain set of rules. In my opinion, both the audience and the artists need to work through the practice of admiring or creating art until they find a path that they find to be uplifting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Republic.