Hazel's Reviews > Oracle's Moon

Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison

F_50x66
Mar 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

I should say this is written in my happy bubble, since I have only just finished reading this book and I am already a fan of the series (though this is the first book I have given a full five stars) so expect quite a bit of gushing praise and reference/comparisons to previous books, though this is a completely spoiler free zone, so if you want a clue at plots, read the blurbs.

I have been going a little crazy waiting for Oracle's Moon to drop through my letterbox, so when it arrived this morning, the house work was abandoned and I gleefully started reading. I had only planned on reading for one hour, maybe two... but in the end I couldn't put it down. I've got to say, this is perhaps my favourite in the series so far. I reread the whole series whilst I was waiting for Oracle's Moon and whilst I still love Pia and Dragos and think Carlisle's Story was fascinating and unique (and I have read a whole lot of vampire books), Oracle's moon blew my socks off! I think it is very mature, full book and just so, so fascinating/intriguing/exciting.

I'm not a big reader of romance, my bookshelf is mostly urban fantasy with some sci fi and fantasy and a bit of paranormal romance thrown in. I will only read a romance if it's got a good story and characters and wow did this have both! Gosh, I loved how richly described Kahlil was, how he changed throughout the story, I feel like I know him . Also, though I really liked the Wyr characters of previous books, this book was so exciting because it was just so new/fresh, I love that! I've been disappointed in the past by taming-of-the-alpha-male series like this one, where initially I love the world and the characters but after the third book I feel like there's nothing new to find out, like all I get to do is explore characters I've already met in a world I'm already familiar with. That hasn't been the case for this series (except perhaps the second book, though maybe others will disagree). Carlisle (Book 3, Serpent's Kiss) was a revelation, a fascinating development on what it is to be a vampire in the world of the Elder Races and completely unexpected. This (Book 4) was even more exciting because not only was the female character new and exciting but we left the world of the Wyr to explore the amazingly well developed world of the Djinn and witches. I just cant believe how real this world feels, not only in the way the fantastical elements are developed/revealed/explored but in how (especially in this book) the characters have to deal with day to day problems that I can relate to. I really do recommend this book and I am typically a reader of Ilona Andrews, Jeaniene Frost and Gail Carriger; the only other taming-the-alpha-male type romances I have enjoyed are Meljean Brooks Iron Duke and Heart of Steel.

This book has an amazingly rich world and characters and I think it is really worth a read, Thea Harrison is on my very short list of must-buy authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle's Moon.