Audra (Unabridged Chick)'s Reviews > Miss Fuller: A Novel

Miss Fuller by April Bernard

Margaret Fuller might be one of the most famous American women you've never heard of; I really learned of her when I read The Margaret-Ghost by Barbara Novak. Since then, I've been pretty hot for her, and so I was over-the-moon to learn about a new novel about her and her life.

April Bernard's novel didn't disappoint, and I don't think one needs to be familiar with Fuller to appreciate and enjoy this story. Set in 1850, the novel opens with Fuller's tragic death -- a shipwreck that claimed her as well as her husband and son -- and Henry David Thoreau combing the beach for their bodies and their effects. His younger sister, Anne, muses on Miss Fuller and her legacy, her thinking, her life. But a good portion of the novel is an unsent letter from Margaret Fuller to Sophia Hawthorne, Nathaniel Hawthorne's wife, and it shows us Fuller's real fears, passion, and blind admiration for those in her life.

In some ways, the novel is less about Fuller than about the people around her, the men and women she called friends and loved like family, and the uncomfortably cold way (to me) they dissected Fuller and her life. This is a novel about reputation, too -- at least, that's something I took away. As Melanie Benjamin's Alice I Have Been made so clear for me, Fuller has to be accountable to the ludicrous judgments of the men around her. Her wisdom is tied in to her 'purity', and her normal, reasonable, understandable choices become the fodder with which the people she idolizes disparage her.

That the author is also a poet is no surprise, as there's a really lovely sense of language here, neither heavy nor ethereal. I'm reminded of other poetic novelists, like Anne Carson, and master wordsmiths like Ellen Feldmen and A.S. Byatt.

That was the clear end, the major crashing chord, of the essay. Although Miss Fuller threw in a bad poem treacled with high sentiments to close, Anne held the phrase a complete life of its kind and knew she would not forget it.

The awkward, herky-jerky force of the essay, rather like an electric eel, twisting, brilliant, sparkling -- that, and the heat-lightening flashing and filling the window-panes -- kept her awake until dawn. (p58)

This is a smart, quiet novel that provoked righteous indignation in me -- and inspired me to look up Bernard's other works. Language lovers, feminists, historical fiction fans, and anyone who enjoys learning about long forgotten historical figures will enjoy this slim novel. (I reread it about a week after finishing -- I couldn't help myself!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Fuller.

04/03/2012 page 70
36.0% "Really enjoying this so far, but not sure this is a good intro to Fuller -- assumes some knowledge of Fuller's life."
04/03/2012 page 70
36.0% "This week's Teaser: http://unabridged-expression.blogspot..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Audra (Unabridged Chick) came today in the mail! Want to read now...

message 2: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell I had no idea this was out! I love Fuller.

message 3: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell This is GREAT. I love Anne.

Audra (Unabridged Chick) Isn't she wonderful? Everyone else is so awful; Anne really is the star of this story.

message 5: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Audra (Unabridged Chick) wrote: "Isn't she wonderful? Everyone else is so awful; Anne really is the star of this story."

IT'S SO GOOD. The details! The bricks wrapped in burlap! The whole scene with the 'Viola bostonia' and 'Nymphaea conversationis,' that was amazing. The Peabodies! AND YES THAT IS MRS WADSWORTH'S FAMOUS MARMALADE SPONGE! Jesus I love this.

message 6: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Also, Fuller is reminding me a lot of Wollstonecraft....just her general life circumstances. If only they could have met -- !