Charity's Reviews > The Book of Illusions

The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster

Jan 23, 09

bookshelves: 1001books, wtf
Recommended for: Anyone looking for a page-turner
Read in September, 2008

This book was a pleasant surprise for me. I don't think I expected to like it as much as I did. Although, honestly, I don't know why since I have no other Auster books to compare it to. Maybe it was because other reviewers DID have other Auster books to compare this to and their reviews weren't all that favorable. So, with a little trepidation, I began reading...

I found myself sucked into the story from page one. The story of David Zimmer was a sad and complex one and the sub-story of Hector Mann was even sadder and more complex. The layers seemed to mesh well and as each story unraveled, I really had a hard time putting it down.

Apparently, The Book of Illusions revisits a lot of the same elements used in Auster's New York Trilogy, so I'm anxious to dig into those books in the near future...and any other Paul Auster books I can get my hands on. What can I say? The man can tell a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Illusions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting that you are reading Auster. I hadn't heard much about him but my aunt gave me Timbuktu and I just put it into my vehicle last week to squeeze it in between a couple of longer reads.

Charity This is my first Auster...but it is intriguing enough that I'm wanting to go after his New York Trilogy and Timbuktu also. I'll keep you updated on the reading.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Please do so. I'll probably read Timbuktu next month.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm knee deep into Timbuktu. Interesting so far although the current scene I left with is less than humorous and it seems like he was shooting for a bit of comedy.