IndyPL Kids Book Blog's Reviews > Everything for a Dog

Everything for a Dog by Ann M. Martin

1989721
Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: adventure, kid-life, favorites, animals
Read in December, 2009

In A Dog’s Life: the Autobiograpy of a Stray, Ann Martin wrote about Squirrel, a stray dog. It’s a really emotional look into the life of a dog as it struggles to find the right home. If you liked that one, you will surely like Everything for a Dog. It is the story of Squirrel’s brother, Bone.

Bone’s story is also the story of two boys: Charlie and Henry. The chapters alternate between the three as Bone and the two boys tell their stories. Charlie is having a tough time because his older brother RJ died and his parents are all but falling apart. His only consolation is RJ’s dog Sunny, who has attached herself Charlie. Henry is a boy without a dog, and he wants one more than anything. Bone, just needs a home. As the stories of the three unfold they don’t really seem related, except that they are about the attachments that occur between people and their pets.

Toward the end of the book the stories of Charlie, Henry & Bone come together in a really surprising way that fits just right. I love it when a story does that and it’s even better when I don’t see it coming. If you have ever wanted or loved a dog this story will speak to you. I’m not really a dog person myself, but Charlie and Henry and Bone showed me what the bond can be like between people and dogs. Author: Ann M. Martin

For more: http://www.imcpl.org/kids/blog/?p=5589

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything for a Dog.