Ruth's Reviews > The Crown

The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: crime-historical

C2012: An outstanding debut. In fact, it is difficult to believe that this is a first novel. The author must have meticulously researched the period but managed to blend this research so well into the plot that it was hard to say when fact blurs into fiction. Some of the plot seemed a little tenuous for credibility and I am thinking here of the tapestry section and how it was woven (ha ha – pun) into the story. But that is probably more down to me than the author. I do have to mention that this is possibly my most favourite period of history and one of the first books I have read that have had characters on the periphery of the Royal Court. The heroine did at times seem a little bit of a milksop but totally believable. Ooh, and she is extremely chaste and I probably would have preferred a different ending – but maybe that’s to come? Hint, hint. FWFTB: Secret, sacred, blood, crown, cross. FCN: Joanna Stafford, Margaret Bulmer, Geoffrey Scovell, Brother Thomas, Brother Richard. “I looked at Brother Richard doubtfully. A sharp tongue did not always lead to a sharp mind, in my experience.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown.