Melanie Coombes's Reviews > Bridge of Scarlet Leaves

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

May 09, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, historical-fiction
Read from May 01 to 09, 2012

This was a very well researched and beautiful love story set in WWII. I have to admit that it did take me a few chapters before I was really hooked. I was slightly worried that the story was going to be a bit of a light read, and I originally felt that there was not enough factual information to make a compelling story. But as I continued on with the book, it really came through for me.
This is the story of Maddie and her brother T.J. They are both still dealing with the aftermath of their mom's death. T.J. is angry at his dad and blames him, while Maddie eventually finds love and comfort in the arms of T.J.'s Japanese school buddy, Tomo. Just as Maddie and Tomo elope, Pearl Harbor is bombed. Maddie decides to accompany Tomo and his family to a Japanese internment camp. T.J. enlists in the army and fights for his life first in a bomber plane and later as a POW. Tomo eventually finds himself in the Pacific as part of the war effort, too.
Their is lots of tension, heartbreak, happiness, romance, fear at this point in the story. I am so glad that I stuck with the book because it was full of the historical information that I was hoping for. I appreciated the Author's Note at the end that included more historical information and the author's own personal reasons for writing this book. There were also some traditional Japanese recipes included. Well done love story on a very controversial time in US history.
I received this book as part of the Goodreads FirstReads program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Scarlet Leaves.