Catherine's Reviews > The Shifter

The Shifter by Jean Johnson

DNF

The style just isn't working for me. It has too much of a young, simple, YA feel to it. If my complaint was anything other than the style of the book, I'd continue to push through. But I just don't think I'm going to be any happier with the style no matter how far I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shifter.

05/01/2012 page 58
18.0% "There is way too much of the characters thinking to themselves in the same way they would have a conversation with someone else. It feels clunky. And it's so slow. Bored now..." 4 comments
05/01/2012 page 119
05/01/2012 page 119
37.0% "It's better than it was in the beginning because something is finally starting to happen, but it feels very YA to me." 5 comments
05/01/2012 page 151
47.0% "Okay, that's it. I have other books I'd rather read. The style of this is just too young for me to be interested in pushing through. DNF." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine LOL. I take it you like the cover? ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy I had to stop this author a while back, so I don't blame you

Catherine Oh really? How come?

Laura the Highland Hussy I read a few of the books in her Sons of Destiny series and I felt like everything was too easy. Like, they have just brought a woman from earth to their world, and they can't understand her language. One of the brothers makes a spell and poof! they can understand/speak English.

Their world is like ours but maybe during the medieval times. BUT they have magic. So when the plucky heroine wants to sew pants one of the guys enchants a needle so for every stitch she sews, it sews 10. They want fresh water-poof! fresh water.

I felt like the rules were too loose.

Catherine Ah, I see. Yes, that would be very irritating.