Steve Van Slyke's Reviews > Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life

Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: kindle, science, evolution
Recommended to Steve by: Science & Inquiry Group
Recommended for: Dedicated science readers
Read from March 06 to 19, 2012, read count: 1

I am a non-scientist and I made it through it, but at times it was definitely a challenge (I should have applied myself much harder in Chemistry class). Furthermore, biology is not my first love within the field of science. Nevertheless, I found it to be a very worthwile and informative read. I like his style of writing. He poses a question and then answers it. The book is also well organized, rolling forward in a very logical sequence. One area of biology that I am particularly interested in is origins theories, and I was pleased to find that he touched on this subject and how it relates to the eventual evolution of mitochondria in eukaryotes.

If I had to make any criticisms at all it was that he occasionally repeated himself unnecessarily and at other times zoomed through very deep subjects, but these are minor complaints.

I also very much liked the fact that his Epilogue was a true summary of the main points of the book. I wish more non-fiction authors would do this.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power, Sex, Suicide.